Saturday 25 August 2012

Mellow Summer Afternoon





“I think we have to take this turn."
"No, I think we still have to go down this road and turn left at the end."
Two bikers just seem a bit lost in the city looking for a memory of the past. Heat is unbearable even on the bikes. The sign at the end of the road points them in a direction completely opposite they were heading. No problem, a sharp turn and again they are on track. Now flying in the right direction, to the very edge of the city.
“I had my best southern fried cheese and fries at that restaurant." My husband explained as we got a glimpse of the building.
Faded yellow wall and green beams with traditional 20's touch, and that dated revamp which was compulsory in the mid 70's. Simple but very welcoming with the tables spread under the horse chestnuts’ shadow in front of the restaurant. As we set down memories, stories, pictures just rushed to my hubby and I could not stop listening and enjoying each word, sentence and story.
A light breeze was hanging on the leaves and we had the best southern fried cheese and fries at that restaurant.
As places like these don't always survive in the "western wind" our visit soon might just be a memory. In fact, some day I might look at it as a tribute to this city, the way it keeps changing on you, the way you can never count on it. I know because that's the sort of thing I'm always saying about things like that. But the truth is... I'm happy and heartbroken at the same time.
The light breeze tangled on the leaves until the sun went down and we went home. Left me thinking about the place the smells, lights. Would this be here the next time we are around? I will never know ….and believe me not knowing has its charms.



No comments :

Post a Comment